Mobicip parental controls setup - Chromebook
This article explains how to set up Mobicip's Parental Control on your family’s Chromebooks.
Before you begin,
- The very first account used on a Chromebook is designated as the 'Owner' account. Please login using your own Google account on a new Chromebook to ensure that you retain the owner privileges.
- Please ensure that no browsers other than Chrome are installed on the Chromebook. We highly recommend blocking Google Play Store to prevent this.
- If the device is managed by your child's school, Mobicip will not work unless your child's school allows third party extensions in their G Suite account. In such cases, please add a new personal account for your child and enable Mobicip in this login.
- Disable Google Family Link on the Chromebook as it does not allow access to Chrome Web Store to download Mobicip.
- Mobicip has to be downloaded from the Chrome Web Store and not the Google Play Store.
- Mobicip filters internet content accessed on Chrome browsers and does not support screen time, location tracking, app blocking and setting schedules. This is due to the way Google designed Chromebooks.
Please login with your account and open the Chrome browser and type chrome://settings. Go to People > turn on Screen Lock.
Click on Manage other users > disable guest mode. Add the child’s Google account that you wish to allow on this Chromebook, for instance, your son/daughter's Gmail account.
Logout of the 'Owner' account.
Login using your child’s Gmail account that is to be monitored on the Chromebook.
Add Mobicip extension from the Chrome Web Store > Accept the prompts to install the extension.
Login with your Mobicip account username and password > select the Child associated with this Gmail account. Let the registration process complete.
When you attempt to browse through Chrome browser, you will see a page with instructions to install a certificate. Complete the steps as instructed on the page.
- Download the Mobicip certificate from the link included in Step 1
- Once the download is complete, visit chrome certificates page from the link in Step 2 > go to ‘Authorities’ tab and Import the downloaded certificate.
- Download the certificate named 'MobicipCA.pem' imported onto Downloads folder.
- Then install the certificate by accepting all the trust settings
Visit chrome://extensions in Chrome browser and choose the "Allow in Incognito" option to enable Mobicip filtering in Incognito mode.
Open Mobicip Extensions icon in the address bar > Check 'Block Extensions page' option. This step prevents your child from removing Mobicip extension from Extensions page.
That's it! Your Child's account in the Chromebook is now protected by Mobicip and you can handover the device to your child.